Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Appreciate the moment!

The key to happiness is to appreciate the moment - yes - the one that you are in right now. Sometimes I forget this. And when I do, it doesn't matter what anyone around me says or does I cannot find happiness. I had a day like that yesterday. I found myself worrying about all the things that I thought were lacking in my life. And when a person gets on that bandwagon - a lot of things can appear to be lacking.

I will spare you the details of my discontent but I will tell you it was painful!

This morning though I have woken up with a new attitude. I gave myself a talking to before I went to sleep last night and when I woke up I remembered all the wonderful things that are happening in my life. Of course its easy when one wakes up scrunched between husband and pet dog! Oh yeah, I have a great husband and a wonderful little furry companion! And as I lay there in the early hours of the morning, before the light had broken and even before the birds had began singing, I thought to myself "Laurie, you need to stay grounded in the moment." And I asked myself "What are the things that are working for you now?" The funny thing is...the list was longer than the disadvantaged list I was working on yesterday.

Perhaps I just had spring fever. Like my grandson on Facebook who posted last night "I'm soooo bored!"

My message for you all - out there reading this on whatever day in whatever season it is for you at this moment of reading - is celebrate the moment. Celebrate all that you have right this very moment. When you are happy, you are happy just because it comes up from your very essence. And when you are happy, others around you can feel it and often others want to be around you because of your happiness.

I'm going to enjoy this day, for this day's sake. And I'm going to share my enjoyment with my husband and anyone else who shows up in my life today. How about you? Will you do the same? This blog may be about 'how to make my wife happy' and its my job to remind you again, you have to start with you! So, here is my benediction to you. Go out and be happy. Appreciate the moment. Carpe Diem!

No comments: